JOURNEYMAN Lineman – 2 positions available
Prairie Energy Cooperative (PECO) is seeking qualified applicants for the following (2) positions of Journeyman Linemen to join our crews. 1 position will be located at our Clarion, IA service center and 1 position will be located at our Garner, IA service center. Prairie Energy Cooperative is a member-owned electric cooperative, providing electric service to over 4,200 members in parts of 11 counties in north-central Iowa. The cooperative has locations in Clarion and Garner.
This position would work under direct supervision of a working Foreman and/or Lead Lineman. Performs numerous duties including construction, maintenance and repair of overhead and underground distribution lines and related facilities, plus service work and other related and assigned duties. The successful candidate will have completed an accredited Powerline program with training in both overhead and underground installation and maintenance. Candidate must also be willing to reside within 25 road miles of their reporting service center within 6 months of accepting the position.
- Prairie Energy provides its employees with a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision insurance
- Pension plan
- 401(k) with company match
- Long-term disability
- Life Insurance, flexible spending accounts, HAS, paid time off, and much more.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Punctual and regular attendance.
- Perform all jobs associated with the operations, maintenance and construction of distribution lines included but not limited to digging pole and anchor holes, framing poles, setting poles and anchors, stringing, sagging, and connecting conductor, installing pad mount gear and underground conductors, and related tasks of new construction on energized and de-energized lines.
- Frequently performs various duties related to customer service including making service changes, troubleshooting service outages, voltage testing.
- Frequently maintains both underground and overhead electrical system by replacing damaged transformers, breakers, regulators, conductor, insulators, meter loops, poles, switching gear and related equipment on energized and de-energized lines.
- Performs related duties to line construction that includes accounting for materials used, stocking trucks, loading and unloading materials, and inspecting distribution and transmission line for necessary maintenance.
- Recommends measures to improve construction and maintenance methods, equipment performance, and quality of products used.
- Submits all required paperwork as needed to comply with company rules and government regulations.
- Other duties may be assigned
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in high, precarious places and in outside weather conditions and could be exposed to risk of electrical shock if safety precautions aren’t taken. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to oils, chemicals, vibrations, loud noises, and other hazards relative to the construction, operations and maintenance of the cooperative facilities.
Prairie Energy Cooperative is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Is required to perform the functions of an on-call person for weekday and weekend outage restoration standby
- Operate and maintain line trucks, pickups, Bucket / Digger Derrick trucks and other motorized equipment. Must also be able to or learn to trace underground cable and operate related fault locating equipment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Employee must have completed or willing to complete an accredited Department of Labor Apprenticeship program with both overhead and underground installation and maintenance.
- Trained or be trained in pole top and bucket rescue.
- Must be able to use a tablet and smartphone and be able to learn applicable industry software.
SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, staking sheets, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations.
- Must have an effective working knowledge of RUS construction specifications and the National Electrical Safety Code.
- Must know, understand, and apply all OSHA and company regulations and safety rules necessary to perform the job.
- Must be able to accurately read and interpret staking sheets and maps.
- Must possess specialized abilities and skills to allow the employee to climb poles and towers.
- Must have basic skills in operating iPad and laptop computers.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Class A - Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with appropriate endorsements.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to climb, balance, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Contact Information for Application
To apply for this position, send your resume and information to HR manager Maggie Smith at email@example.com
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ALL-INCLUSIVE. AN EMPLOYEE WILL ALSO PERFORM OTHER REASONABLY RELATED BUSINESS DUTIES AS ASSIGNED BY IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR AND OTHER MANAGEMENT AS REQUIRED. THIS JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A WRITTEN OR IMPLIED CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT.
ALL APPLICANTS WHO ARE SELECTED FOR A POSITION WITHIN PRAIRIE ENERGY COOPERATIVE ARE REQUIRED TO PASS A POST OFFER PHYSICAL EXAMINATION, BACKGROUND CHECK, AND DRUG SCREEN PRIOR TO EMPLOYMENT.